Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:20:59 -0600

Eric Hanchrow <address@hidden> writes:

> I tried
>
>   $ bzr clone http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/branches/EMACS_22_BASE
>
> bzr ground for about an hour, using 100% of the CPU, then finally failed with
>
>     bzr: ERROR: No such file:
> 'http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/.bzr/repository/indices/5b5aedf70f9a908bd9b77d5e921f468f.tix'

The process I use to update the Bazaar repository from CVS apparently
moves some of the needed pack and index files around.  It's possible
that you could go into the directory that was created and do a "bzr
pull" and finish the download, but I am not sure if that always works or
if I just got lucky one time :).

I would suggest that you download the premade repository, cd to the
branches directory and then do try your command again.

$ bzr clone http://bzr.notengoamigos.org/emacs/branches/EMACS_22_BASE

This will be *much* faster as it will re use the changesets that trunk
and EMACS_22_BASE have in common.  I am going to get in touch with the
bazaar mailing lists and see if there is a better way to do what I am
doing.  It's possible that using the "smart" server would protect you
from this occurrence (I don't know), but the smart server is even slower
when checking out these large branches.  Part of that may be the fact
that my server is not very powerful and using the smart server puts most
of the processing burden on the server end.

I am ccing this to the bazaar mailing list as well to see if anyone
there can help.

Jason