RE: Word search

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Word search
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:18:17 -0800

1. It might be OK to have C-w do something different when the region is
empty. At least for those people who use transient-mark mode (so that
"active region" means something).

2. That is not limited to the minibuffer, logically. That is, there is
nothing special about the minibuffer in this regard.

3. It is OK to have some minibuffer key yank text from the current buffer -
for example, text at or near point.

4. We have discussed #3 before. I suggested behavior that lets you yank
different kinds of things at point and behavior that lets you yank
successive things at point. Nothing has come of that, so far.

5. HOWEVER: If an approach such as #1 is used, it should not be combined
with #3, and especially not using `C-w'. That is trying to be too clever by
half, and it doesn't help.

That is, there is no reason to combine these features you propose. And doing
so limits design for the future. And the use of C-w then becomes confusing
for users: sometimes cut (kill), sometimes paste (yank). That's not good UI,
IMO.

So if you do #3, please use a different key. And if you do #1, consider
doing so in every buffer, not just the minibuffer.