Re: Indentation contest nxml vs xml-mode

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Indentation contest nxml vs xml-mode
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:52:31 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:
Try indenting the following in nxml-mode and xml-mode:

<outermost>
   <inner1><inner2>
       <inner3>Duh</inner3>
     </inner2>
   </inner1>
</outermost>

I think xml-mode wins here. If I remember correctly there are also some bugs in nxml-mode indentattion code. Is there any reason to have both ways of indenting, ie should not nxml-mode indentation use the xml-mode indentation code?

Can you please just present the two alternatives here, so we don't have to
go through the exercise? Thx.

My main point was of course to have only one code to do the indentation (I think there might be bugs in both versions today), but here is the output:

***** xml-mode
<outermost>
  <inner1><inner2>
      <inner3>Duh</inner3>
    </inner2>
  </inner1>
</outermost>

***** nxml-mode
<outermost>
  <inner1><inner2>
    <inner3>Duh</inner3>
  </inner2>
  </inner1>
</outermost>

BTW, I just noted that the person that sent me the bug report long ago put a "duh" in the text. ;-)