Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:58:57 -0800

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

  > >   > > - show-paren-mode on by default
  > >   >
  > >   > Never liked it.  Is it really that popular?
  > >
  > > That's hard to measure, isn't it?  In _my_ experience it is.
  > > Or more likely: blink-matching-open is unpopular, and in general
  > > blinking cursor is downright hated by many people.
  >
  > I always use M-( to insert a balanced pair of open and close
  > parentheses, so I never see that blink-matching-open jumping cursor.
  >
  > When there is a need to see a matching parenthesis, this is possible by
  > using commands that move point on balanced expressions like forward-sexp.
  > Even though show-paren-mode doesn't require such point movements, it is
  > annoying when a matching parenthesis is highlighted in inappropriate
  > places like e.g. when displaying a group of completions in parenthesis
  > in the minibuffer, etc.

That's a minor disadvantage to the big advantage of easily finding the
matching parenthesis.

  > >   > > - flyspell-mode on by default for text-mode
  > >   >
  > >   > I indeed have it on in text-mode (and programming modes as well, as
  > >   > a matter of fact),
  > >
  > > Same here.
  > >
  > > Another related point: flyspell-prog-mode is even more obscure than
  > > flyspell.  How do we make it's availability more obvious to programmers?
  >
  > Like all other features, to make them more available to users, we should
  > add more commands to the main menu.  Most newbies tend using this menu
  > where they can discover hidden features.

Flyspell is pretty well hidden in the Tools / Spell Checking menu.
Where would flyspell-prog-mode go? Maybe in the major mode menu? We'd
have to add it by hand to all the relevant major modes.
Which is doable.  But what if a user wants to turn on flyspell-prog-mode
by default for all programming languages? The only way to do that now is
to add a bunch of `add-hook's in .emacs
It would be nice to have a generic solution for all these (no idea what
that might be...)