Re: patch for Dired second header line info

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: patch for Dired second header line info
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 04:55:28 +0200

> The second header line in a Dired buffer currently looks like this:
>
>  total used in directory 49439 available 56233408
>
> Attached is a patch (for `files.el' and `ls-lisp.el') that changes that text
> to this:
>
>  files 691 space used 49439 available 56233408

Are you sure this change will not break other packages that rely on the
first word `total' at the beginning of a dired buffer?  It seems it would
be safer to leave it as is, and add new information to the end of this line
like:

total used in directory 49439 available 56233408 files 691

Also I think instead of displaying the number of files listed in the
current dired buffer, more useful would be to display the total number of
files in the current directory.  There are features that hide files in the
dired buffer (e.g. dired-omit-mode), so displaying the total number of
files will be helpful for users to see that there are more hidden files.
This also will simplify the implementation of the feature you propose,
so instead of a new function `count-dired-files' you can just use
(length (directory-files dir nil t))

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/