Re: Suggestion: A fringe indicator that shows the last/first line before

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Suggestion: A fringe indicator that shows the last/first line before scrolling
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:02:08 +0100

>     If you scroll up (i.e. with C-v) it shows the last visible line
>     before the scroll, if you scroll down (i.e. with M-v) it shows the
>     first.
>
> There are normally two lines of overlap, so why do you need this?

Here it are three lines, although `next-screen-context-lines' is at its
default value of 2.  So after a C-v the formerly last line will be the
third line after the scroll.

Anyway, I think it would ease finding the right position, because
spotting a fringe indicator is easier to do than to count the lines from
the top/bottom of a window.

It would especially help if you don't scroll by "near a full page" but a
given amount of lines or when scrolling is done as a result of point
movement.  (Ok, I can see that scrolling because of moving point usually
centers the window around point.)

Bye,
Tassilo