MAINTAINERS file

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: MAINTAINERS file
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:51:03 +1300

I can't pretend that I've always enjoyed RMS' autocratic leadership style but
it was certainly unambiguous and clear, and showed enormous stamina covering
most questions raised on the list.  Now that he's stepping down, it's not
clear, to me at least, what the rules are and if Stefan and Yidong are going
maintain Emacs in the same manner.  Already changes appear to be being made
more freely and I feel it could become chaotic.

Therefore, I suggest that the MAINTAINERS file is resurrected and areas of
Emacs identified for which responsible maintainers are found.  To some extent
this is done aleady and and it would merely formalise the arrangement.  This is
probably only necessary for core (C source) Emacs development, and perhaps
fundamental lisp development, e.g., byte compiler, subr.el, and lisp packages
could be maintained in their usual way.  By way of example, it might be
helpful to look at the MAINTAINERS file for Gdb or Gcc, although these are
probably too elaborate for Emacs current needs.  I think such a file would also
make Stefan and Yidong's task less onerous.

Just my two cents.