Re: make standard If-Modified-Since headers

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: make standard If-Modified-Since headers
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:24:07 +0000

Ted Zlatanov wrote:
The specific function change I am proposing, so we have a specific
reference point:

(defun url-get-normalized-date (&optional specified-time)
  "Return a 'real' date string that most HTTP servers can understand."
  (let ((system-time-locale "C"))
(format-time-string "%a, %d %b %Y %T %Z" (or specified-time (current-time)))))

Will this work on all systems?  It avoids the hardcoded week and month
abbreviations through the locale specification, but I can only test that
on Linux.

IIRC, only a small subset of timezone names are allowed in HTTP headers, so %z would be better than %Z, or alternatively hardcode GMT:
(format-time-string "%a, %d %b %Y %T GMT"
        (or specified-time (current-time)) t)

%Z seems to give an empty string here (Windows XP), but that is probably a bug.