Re: Bug trackers

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Bug trackers
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:17:41 -0800

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Jason Rumney wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> - As Richard mentioned, we would like/need to forward all bug-reports
>>   sent to address@hidden and address@hidden to
>>   currently for discussions, we would only want to forward those email
>>   whose subject doesn't start with "Re:".
>>
> Normally bugtrackers also hold the subsequent discussion as comments to
> the original report. Why would we not want that?

The problem is figuring out which report the subsequent discussion is
for or whether it's a new report. If it includes the bug number in the
header, everything happens automatically.[1] If it doesn't, the BTS
assumes you're creating a new report.

It may be that the right way to do things is to intercept new messages
to address@hidden, send them first to the bug tracking system,
and send the maintainer messages to the address@hidden mailing
list, so that replies are dealt with correctly.... but I don't think
that's something that we want to set up until the maintainers are
reasonably sure that debbugs is good enough for now.

Don Armstrong

1: This is actually a legacy system; normally followup reports go to
address@hidden
--
Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien
a ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien a retrancher.