Re: require GNU make to build emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: require GNU make to build emacs?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 06:29:38 +0200

> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:44:43 -0800
>
> Shouldn't we require GNU make to build emacs?

Requesting a specific flavor of Make is a limitation and a burden on
users who build Emacs, and as such, we shouldn't impose it without a
good reason, IMO.  Is there a good reason for that?

> Having a modern make should help simplify the makefiles and maybe the
> whole build process.

Is that the only reason, or are there real problems with non-GNU Make
in our build process?

> GCC has required GNU make for 3-4 years without any problems.

They require it for a good reason.  But their situation is different:
most users will not build a compiler, but Emacs is a different story.