Re: dired cannot access file names with a quote

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: dired cannot access file names with a quote
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:55:22 -0500

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong Yidong wrote:
>
>> I think the fix is to quote ' as well in shell-quote-wildcard-pattern.
>> Could someone on this list double-check?
>
> Won't that break things like 'foo*' that people might want to pass to
> shell-quote-wildcard-pattern, as per the comment in the function's
> doc-string?
>
> 'foo*' and \'foo*\' are not the same to the shell.

Don't the quote characters referred to in the docstring refer to
backslash (\)?

The only place that calls shell-quote-wildcard-pattern in the Emacs
source tree is insert-directory, and the logic in insert-directory
indicates that shell-quote-wildcard-pattern is simply intended to
quote special characters that would screw up the call to `ls'.  Is
there any way of passing a ' character in the file argument to
insert-directory, except as a literal part of a filename?