Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:45:27 +0200

>>  > I use tmm and sometimes push marks just for navigation, but I then
>>  > just hit C-g to get immediately rid of the activation (when I bother
>>  > at all) after a C-SPC - the mark is still pushed.  C-SPC C-g is only
>>  > slightly more awkward than C-SPC C-SPC.
>>
>> From the number of keystrokes.  But between C-SPC and C-g I get annoyed,
>>  and that takes longer to wear off.  And if you happened to have a slow X
>>  connection, the cost of the entire screen flashing the mark-active face
>>  in your face might also cause an interruption of work.
>
> I don't see why that should happen prescisely.  C-SPC directly
> followed by C-g shouldn't cause any highlighting, the point wouldn't
> move.  More annoying might be the bell or visual-bell C-g might cause,
> though that is of course customisable.

Deactivating the region without the bell is possible with
keyboard-escape-quit.

But even this is not necessary: cua-selection-mode uses C-SPC C-SPC
to set the mark without activating the region (more precisely the second
C-SPC cancels the region activation).  This is another reason to enable
cua-selection-mode by default because this will help people who use
the mark for navigational purposes.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/