Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:39:30 +0100

>  And I was wrong/unclear: Alt-SPC is not trapped, but the use of Alt-SPC
>  interfere with the use it has in all other w32 GUI programs I know:
>  Alt-SPC activates the "system menu" (which is the menu that is opened if
>  you click the upper right corner of a w32 window). This is used for
>  maximize/restore/minimize/close so it is pretty important IMO.

I'm not sure if I understand how it works for you, but for me, under
w32 (Windows XP), Alt + SPC has not the "normal" w32 behavior, Emacs
gets that key. Under my current GNU/Linux system with Metacity, the
window menu is opened however (which I did not like at first but have
gotten used to now for minimize/maximize etc). My guess is that this
key would not work for many Gnome users.