Re: tooltips for minor modes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: tooltips for minor modes
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:29:11 -0500

    One possibility would be to use the first line of the doc-string. But a
    quick "grep --after=1 define-minor-mode" shows that for quite a lot of
    minor modes the first line of the doc-string gives not useful
    information:

I am not surprised that the first line doesn't do it.
But we could make the second line do it.

We might want to establish the convention that the second line
of a minor mode's doc string starts with the start of a sentence that explains
briefly what the mode does.

Then the tooltip  could show the sentence which starts at that point.