Re: vc-*-root finctions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc-*-root finctions
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:33:57 -0500

> Which would be wrong.  git might be fast, but it takes a long time if it
> has to read the inodes from disk or NFS on a big tree (which happens
> every morning or after a big compilation job).

BTW, now that I think a bit more about it: the `dir-status' function can
almost always be synchronous (and never contact a remote repository).
In PCL-CVS that function is called `cvs-quickdir', which I consider to
be the main entry point.

[ Oddly Arch is one of the very few VCS for which figuring out the local
  status of a file may *require* contacting a remote repository, so it's
  probably the only backend for which an async dir-status would
  be necessary. ]

The asynchronous behavior is only important for all the other operations
you'll want to perform later (once you already have a vc-status buffer
with which to work): update/merge/pull, commit/push.

        Stefan