Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:14:38 +0100

> IMO, defaults should be choosen, if possible, so the behavior is what
> most new users would expect. An experienced user will research how to
> deactivate something that he doesn't like. A newbie will perhaps just
> give up.

I agree, and this has happened to at least two colleagues, people I
know would have liked Emacs if they just had hung in there a little
longer. I have been able to convince one of them that Emacs is the way
to go by showing him some killer features, and he is now happily
Emacsing along. The other colleague gave up when C-c/v/x did not do
what he expected. He said he became to stressed when the app did not
behave like he was used to, and he felt it interfered with his work.
Anyway, I would not go as far as saying that CUA should be on by
default, because I think that generates other problems. I guess my
point is that a lot of people give up more easily today so good
defaults are important.