Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:09:18 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Feb 20, 2008 1:27 PM, Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> One has to turn of more and more features, to get back the
>> traditional Emacsian behavior (which I consider the best in many
>> cases).  The policy for Emacs once seemed to be (I don't recall if it
>> was officially stated) to be rather puristic per default and leave it
>> to the user to turn on all the bells and whistles and blinken light
>> he wants.
>
> IMO, defaults should be choosen, if possible, so the behavior is what
> most new users would expect.

No.  What is most usable.  We want Emacs to be the best editor
available, not the most similar to lesser products.

Transient-mark-mode messes with the normal work flow (and the active
region) in a way that is not helpful.  It is not even actually similar
to what other software does with regions.

> An experienced user will research how to deactivate something that he
> doesn't like. A newbie will perhaps just give up.

On deactivating something that he doesn't like?  Likely.  So do we want
to make newbies give up?