Re: State of VC?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: State of VC?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:52:29 +0100

() Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
() Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:40:31 -0800

   it made more sense to spend time writing proof of concept code,
   and there was little point to spend time writing ISO9000 type
   documents describing it.  On top of that, everything was
   discussed at length on the list.

All i ask for is some comments in the source code, as a courtesy
to anyone who has not followed the discussion.  I think a brief
summary (no need for a lot of spew) of the conclusions reached,
together w/ the code, would "prove" the concept better.

     > Personally, i don't think vc-directory for Git is that bad
     > (w/ some tweaking)[0].
   You mean "vc-git-hacking"? That link does not work.

I see this:
 $ cd /tmp
 $ git clone http://www.gnuvola.org/wip/vc-git-hacking.git
 Initialized empty Git repository in /tmp/vc-git-hacking/.git/
 got 9e2f244ec65b24f8c78d3488ca506a3b5f2892e6
 walk 9e2f244ec65b24f8c78d3488ca506a3b5f2892e6
 got 340ef0ef0a358e20ef6a468a1ac57d538aa043bf
 got b8b0d6fe86d729b7faee7eee112d1844c8a1332b
 [...53 lines deleted...]

What do you see?

   This bad attitude and adding this type of rants to vc-git.el: [...]
   are totally counter-productive and seem to be designed just to
   aggravate people instead of focusing on improving ANYTHING.

Anger is a gift, supposedly, but i can see that aggravation is
just aggravation.  To get to actual anger, you have to read the
above comment as standing in for the lack of comments in vc.el.
They are two sides of the same coin: anger from fear, fear from
ignorance, ignorance from limited attention budget; we are like
brothers now!  What is it that we fear, together?

No worries, i understand joy of implementation can occlude sense
of responsibility.  Why leave a crumb for other programmers when
the bread mashes nicely in one's maw?

I think the bad attitude to be weeded out is the one that results
in thought codified but not fully transparent.

thi