Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default [Re: CUA-mode features and d

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Enabling Transient Mark Mode by default [Re: CUA-mode features and documenation]
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:48:13 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Dan!
>
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:58:26AM -0800, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>   >     BTW, before the pretest for 22.1 you were trying
>>   >     transient-mark-mode in order to enable it by default. What was
>>   >     the result of that experiment?
>
>>   > I could not stand Transient Mark mode by itself.  However, I now
>>   > use it with `mark-even-if-inactive' = t, and I think that is fine.
>
>> OK, I have changed the default for mark-even-if-inactive to be t and
>> turned on transient-mark-mode by default.
>
> I feel I must protest about this.

Agreed.  This is an abomination.  I find that temporary transient mark
mode is all even an Emacs beginner will really need: after all, those
people will typically mark their texts with a mouse, anyway.

The mouse-invoked temporary transient mark mode is _really_ _really_
important.  But the general transient mark mode is a nuisance.

--
David Kastrup