Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead of utf-8)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:16:36 +0900

> What's ungraceful about C-x C-s responding with
>     Warning:  This XML document does not seem to conform to XML
>     charset declaration rules.  Would you like to
>     (1) add an XML processor instruction (coding cookie)
>     (2) link to a parent document which specifies the encoding
>     (3) create a dummy parent document (available only to your sessions)
>     (4) save as is in the [buffer-file-coding-system] encoding?

The discussion is about what to do when visiting a file, not saving it.

[Whether the above sort of "extreme nannying" is a good idea or not when
saving, probably depends on who you ask; many would probably appreciate
the help, but knowing Emacs, users, it seems a good bet some would chaff
at the presumption.]

For visiting, I rather like what I suggested earlier, changing Emacs'
format-specific-coding mechanisms to support format-specific coding
_preferences_ as well as "absolute codings".

-Miles

--
Guilt, n. The condition of one who is known to have committed an indiscretion,
as distinguished from the state of him who has covered his tracks.