configuring with --enable-font-backend and libotf

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: configuring with --enable-font-backend and libotf
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:30:56 -0600

Hi,

        Curious about what I have been hearing about the ability to
 handle indic languages with the new font backends, I installed libotf;
 whipped together a /usr/lib/pkgcongif/libotf.pc (since none existed on
 my Debian machine), and compiled.

        It was configured with:
 ./configure --with-dbus --with-gtk      --with-gpm  --with-pop=yes \
             --with-xpm  --with-jpeg     --with-tiff --with-gif     \
             --with-png  --with-x        --enable-font-backend      \
             --with-xft  --with-freetype --with-rsvg --with-libotf

Configured for `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'.
  Where should the build process find the source code?
                    /usr/local/src/arch/others/emacs/myemacs--devel--23.0
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/amdx86-64.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with? gcc -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          GTK
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a font backend?                          yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   yes

        I set it up to use both xft and the core X fonts:
__> xrdb -query | grep Emacs
Emacs.FontBackend:      x xft
Emacs.font:     -rfx-courier-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-m-70-iso10646-1

        But all this results in is:
__> ./src/emacs
No font backend available

        What am I missing?

        manoj
--
"I'll say it again for the logic impaired." Larry Wall
<address@hidden>