Re: 23.0.60; whitespace.el mishap

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; whitespace.el mishap
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:40:27 -0300

    Well, indeed the old whitespace-buffer had reported
    where the bogus whitespace had happened.

    Instead of reporting, the new whitespace-mode
    displays visually the bogus whitespace.

Ok, we know what the old whitespace-buffer does.
And we know what the new whitespace-mode does.

    Is it ok if the new whitespace-buffer is removed?

What does the new whitespace-buffer do?  How does it differ
from whitespace-mode?

The new whitespace-buffer only force whitespace-chars to contain
the symbols to visualize the "bogus" whitespaces.
It seems that the new whitespace-buffer is not so useful.

The old whitespace-buffer highlights the "bogus" whitespaces
(via text properties) and generates a report in a buffer,
if there is any "bogus" whitespace.

Now, whitespace-mode and global-whitespace-mode highlights
all whitespaces including the "bogus" one, if the user specifies
in the whitespace-chars variable.

Can you make it provide the features of the old whitespace-buffer?

Yes, I think that is missing the "bogus" report
(via a new whitespace-report command).