Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Defaut encoding for XML files should be undefined (instead of utf-8)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:31:43 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> This is nothing to do with psgml (which is not part of Emacs), or
> nxml. AFAIK psgml does nothing about encoding, as sgml files are not
> necessarily in any particular encoding. Nxml had some code which as
> far as I understand is similar to what I was proposing as a solution
> here. I removed that code shortly after it was merged into Emacs since
> Emacs already had code which seemed to do the same thing for XML
> files, regardless of mode. It is only now that I found out that the
> code in Emacs is overly simplistic, forcing UTF-8 even against users'
> wishes.

Unless the user explicitly requests some encoding, the default should be
(irrespective of language environment) utf-8.  If the user explicitly
requests some encoding, that's the decoding for saving.  In either case,
if the resulting encoding does not agree with a prospective XML coding
cookie (the absence of which indicates utf-8), Emacs should offer to add
or change the coding cookie.

Something like that.