Re: CANNOT_DUMP support

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CANNOT_DUMP support
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:42:47 -0500

    The basic idea is that we load up Emacs with its Lisp, then start with
    the GC roots and "wire up" (for technical details, ask Olivier) the
    objects referenced with offsets, then write them to a file.  At
    runtime, loading the file does the reverse.  I'm not sure how this is
    done, whether the portable dumper actually traces all the offsets and
    converts them to appropriate pointers at runtime, or whether the
    system loader does this as part of its normal ELF relocation link
    editing.  Whatever, it's not as fast as unexec, but it's real fast.

Lisp objects are just part of what unexec dumps.  There is other
malloc data, and lots of global variables that don't point to Lisp
objects.  How do you handle them?