Re: after-delete-terminal-functions (was: 23.0.60; Emacs should survive

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: after-delete-terminal-functions (was: 23.0.60; Emacs should survive a lost X connection)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:00:57 -0500

    But now I wonder: is DELETE_TERMINAL_EVENT the right thing to do, or
    should we use run-at-time instead?

I don't see any reason why run-at-time would work better,
and it certainly is not cleaner.  It is less clean.

    So, I removed the `error' call, but this makes things worse, apparently:
    Emacs then exits abruptly.  It seems that it's important to abort
    execution at the end of x_connection_closed.  So I re[placed the `error'
    call by a call to Fthrow.  This finally worked.

That seems like a plausible approach to me.

However, another idea is to signal an error and do something special
so that this error doesn't clear the event.  Even better, the
top-level loop could queue the event after catching this kind of
error.

Or the top-level loop could call the appropriate hook after catching
this kind of error.  That way there would be no event, just a hook.

It could distinguish this error based on an error condition symbol.
That would be clean.