Re: buffer is modified after commit

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: buffer is modified after commit
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:04:22 +0100

Well, after digging in my .emacs for a while, and several false
starts, I've finally been able to isolate the "buffer is modified
after commit" bug that was driving me crazy. Or, at least, I can now
repeat it at will.

Please try with this simple .emacs:

;;;;; .emacs ;;;;;
(global-highlight-changes 1)
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

and then commit a file (I see the error with CVS and Mercurial
backends, I suppose it is generic but I haven't tested any other).
After the commit, the file is marked as modified.

The thing is, it does not happen in EMACS_22_BASE, but hilit-chg.el in
the branch is identical to the trunk version, so I suspect the bug is
somehow triggered by the recent VC changes.

Could someone with VC experience please take a look at it?

(BTW, the heisenbug nature of the bug was caused by desktop.el kindly
saving the highlight-change-mode value without me being aware of
it...)

Thanks,

             Juanma