Re: change cursor type when idle

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: change cursor type when idle
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:34:35 +0200

> I must say I'm a bit surprised by all the heat this has generated.
>
> FWIW -
>
> It's fine with me if this isn't added to Emacs, or if you trim part of it
> out and add only some of it. I really don't care. It will still be available
> on Emacs Wiki, for anyone who really wants it.
>
> For the record, I got the idea from Juri. Perhaps he got it from CUA mode;
> I don't know.

I only use different cursor types for overwrite mode because this is the
standard behavior in many other programs, and different cursor types for the
active input method because it has the same benefits as for overwrite mode,
i.e. it takes too much efforts to recover from typing in wrong mode or
wrong input method.

I have no opinion on the usefulness of the read-only-mode cursor and the
cursor type when idle, since I don't use them.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/