RE: bad comment indentation in Emacs Lisp

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: bad comment indentation in Emacs Lisp
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:29:08 -0800

> >> Right, because indent-region does both TAB and M-; on each
> >> line (more or less).
>
> > No. Neither `M-;' nor TAB moves `;;' comments, except that
> > TAB can move a line that *starts* with `;;'. That is not the
> > case for the `;;' comment that is moved here.
>
> Huh?  Where do you get this idea?  Have you tried M-; on the
> `let' line?

Hm. I stand corrected.

In Emacs 20 it behaves as I described (both for `M-;' and `C-M-q'). I
thought this was broken in Emacs 22, but it seems it was broken in Emacs 21.
;-)

I never used Emacs 21 (a giant regression compared with Emacs 20, at least
on Windows), and I didn't bother to test it for this - mea culpa.

What is the rationale for this kind of comment indentation? It certainly
doesn't indent the same as `;' or the same as `;;' at the beginning of a
line. Why insert a single space here - what's the rationale? Why move `;;'
ever, relative to the rest of its line?

Anyway, guess it's too late to complain now...

So please consider this a feature request. Please DTRT by not inserting a
space - never move `;;' (except for line indentation, when it starts a
line).