Debugging lisp during startup

From: Chris Hall
Subject: Debugging lisp during startup
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 23:33:28 -1000

I'm sure this a FAQ -- can someone point me to information on how to
debug elisp during the Emacs startup process?

I'm trying to debug Emacs.app for GNUstep, and it looks like there is
a problem in the windowing system initialization process.  The menu
displays, but no main window, and the window won't do anything.

I've tried starting emacs -nw, then (debug-on-entry
'make-frame-on-display), but I only get so far before it just hangs on
me.

Thanks,

Chris Hall