Re: Emacs costs 100M memory on Windows XP

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs costs 100M memory on Windows XP
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:53:35 +0900

>> I think the original plan was to make the new font backend the
>> default after the initial flood of post-merge bug reports died
>> down, but if the old font code is going to be a major source of
>> such reports, maybe it is better to make it the default sooner.

> I agree.

> And I also had the plan of deleting regacy font handling codes as
> soon as it is supported also on non-Unix non-GNU-Linux system
> (i.e. Windows and Mac).  When Emacs.app (Mac Cocoa port) is merged
> into the trunk, I'd like to start working on it.

The Mac Carbon port in the trunk already does not compile regardless
of its font backend setting.  Also, the Mac Cocoa port does not
support the legacy font code now.  That says, switching to the new
font backend does not do harm to either of Mac ports with respect to
the current status.  So I think it's not necessary to wait for the
merger of the Mac Cocoa port to switch to the new font backend.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden