Re: choice for the new emacs icon

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: choice for the new emacs icon
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:10:05 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Miles,

>>   > These new icons look very "OSX"...]
>>
>> Which would be a positive thing, isn't it?
>
> Um.
>
> Icons on OSX are often very pretty and glossy looking, but they don't
> necessarily mesh well with what's on other systems...
>
> [e.g., the trend on OSX seems to be towards hyper-realistic icons,
> whereas on other systems, icons tend to be more abstract.]

The new icons match KDE4's Qxygen theme quite good.  It seems they
adopted the convention that editors use a pen in their icon.  For
example the attached png is the new icon for KDE's text editor kate.
The new emacs icon would fit very well in that environment.

What version I like better?  Hard to say.  Version one looks a bit
cleaner, I'd say, but if you are no insider you wouldn't recognize the
horns.  So in that respect version 2 is better, but the fact that both
the pen and the E lean into the same direction but with slightly
different angles disrupts my sense of symmetry.  Maybe that could be
fixed with moving and inclining the pen a bit.

Bye,
Tassilo