Re: Fwd: 23.0.50; can't input chinese punctuation on w32 platform

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Fwd: 23.0.50; can't input chinese punctuation on w32 platform
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:07:35 +0000

Kenichi Handa wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
>

>> This seems to be a problem with mule-unicode-2500-33ff to gb2312
>> encoding. I doubt it is limited to w32.
>>

> Right.  This is because of the limitation of Emacs 22's
> Unicode handling.  If you want to handle U+3002, you have
> to use UTF-* coding systems.
>
> It will be fixed by Emacs 23.

Meanwhile we need to handle keyboard input in Emacs 22.2 in a way that
is not any worse than 22.1.

AFAICT, CJK punctuation, Kana, Jamo, Kanbun, Bopomofo, CJK radicals,
Thai and possibly Greek and Cyrillic are potentially problematic. Am I
correct in thinking that Latin character sets are not affected?

Is there a well defined range of unicode that does or doesn't support
conversion? Doesn't pasting from the clipboard have the same problem?