Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:25:29 +0000

On 28 Nov 2007, at 21:47, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

FWIW, I don't think UTF-8 is a good idea here, since it cannot encode
all the characters Emacs supports.  Maybe emacs-mule?

You'll know best what should be used. The coding system should support all characters in file names (that are supported).

!       ;; (message "Saving places to %s..." file)

I think there should be a user option to disable this, instead of
disabling it unconditionally.  I, for example, quite like this
message.

If you like this message, presumably you'll like "such" messages in general.

I wonder if this hasn't come up before: could we not have a global verbosity level? If it is well-defined, all parts including modes could respect it. One could have an optional argument to `message', indicating the level of the particular message.

In a case like the above (and, for the sake of the argument, we assume places could be saved interactively), I would go for a medium to low level, indicating progress at a usually quick process, which is, by default, only displayed when the function was called interactively.