Re: invisible

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: invisible
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:09:15 +0100

>>Either this option makes sense - then we have to talk about C-n/C-p
>>_and_ invisible text - or it doesn't.  In the latter case let's remove
>>the option and the problem is resolved.
>

> It makes sense and we need to keep it.  But it interacts with point
> adjustment.  So try and reproduce the bug first with
> disable-point-adjustment so as to eliminate a variable.

Both bugs of my test file persist with `global-disable-point-adjustment'
non-nil, maybe Stephen can verify that.

> [ We could also dispense with the variable and use
> disable-point-adjustment for it, but then one wouldn't be able to
> disable one without disabling the other which is sometimes inconvenient
> while debugging.  ]

I lost you here.  `line-move-ignore-invisible' nil means do not skip
invisible newlines and explicitly should affect only C-n and C-p.
`disable-point-adjustment' is about a lot of other things as well.

>>I never use "those things" hence I don't care about whether these
>>qualify as "serious symptoms".
>

> You use point-adjustment all the time since it's enabled by default.

Yes.  But the bug is with `line-move-ignore-invisible' which is by
default t and never changed by me.

>>***************
>>*** 3940,3948 ****
>>  This function works only in certain cases,
>>  because what we really need is for `move-to-column'
>>  and `current-column' to be able to ignore invisible text."
>

> This text seems odd: AFAIK they *do* ignore invisible text.  Does it
> want to say that they sould ignore the `invisible' text property?

Personally I think they should ignore all properties.  Moving into
invisible text should be handled by point-adjustment.

> The docstring of line-move-to-column is too vague: it doesn't say what
> it intends to do, really: "considering invisibility" is not much help.
> If someone knows what it intends to do, really, maybe we can figure out
> how to fix it (probably the best fix will be to change the C code).

`line-move-ignore-invisible' per se is vague.  What is an invisible
line?