Re: remember(-diary).el

From: Sven Joachim
Subject: Re: remember(-diary).el
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:24:33 +0100

On 2007-11-21 08:24 +0100, martin rudalics wrote:

> When doing a cvs update of the Emacs trunk I currently get:
>
> cvs update: move away lisp/textmodes/remember.el; it is in the way
> C lisp/textmodes/remember.el
>
> My CVS version is 1.11.19.  CVS has created a file
> textmodes/remember-diary.el along with the CVS entry
>
> /remember-diary.el/1.3/Tue Oct 30 23:28:00 2007//
>
> but _no_ file textmodes/remember.el.  Hence I conclude that this problem
> is due to a short filenames clash on my operating system - WindowsME
> with a FAT32 file-system.  In fact the 8+3 versions of remember-diary.el
> and remember.el both resolve to remember.el.

I suspect you have turned of the generation of numeric tail names in the
Windows Registry, otherwise remember-diary.el would resolve to
rememb~1.el.  Use regedit and search for a key named NameNumericTail.
If such a key exists and has a value of 0, change it to 1 and restart
Windows.  Google will tell you a lot more about the pros and cons of
NameNumericTail.

Also make sure that you do _not_ have a key named Win31FileSystem set to
1, that setting would turn off generation of long file names completely.

Hope this helps,
Sven