Re: blank-mode.el

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: blank-mode.el
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:19:32 -0300

Done, but the names now are blank-toggle-options and global-blank-toggle-options.

It would be better for blank to go first so every defun, defvar,
defconst, defcustom, defface, defgroup, and define-minor-mode start
with `blank-'.  That is easier to track, especially 20 years from now
by someone who does not know blank-mode.el.  The four that need
changing are:

    global-blank-mode
    global-blank-mode-on
    global-blank-mode-off
    global-blank-toggle-options

Otherwise, what I saw looks good.

(Note that only some command names have "global-" prefix.
All defvar, defun (except some commands), defconst, defcustom,
defface and defgroup are prefixed by "blank-".)

Well, I also think this way, but there is no convention
(or consensus) about global minor mode name.

Initially, global blank-mode had the name blank-global-mode,
but Juri Linkov <address@hidden> suggested to change to global-blank-mode.

I made a `grep -e "global-" *.el' in emacs/lisp dir.
It seems that some of global minor mode names are prefixed by "global-",
for example, global-font-lock-mode (instead of font-lock-global-mode),
global-auto-revert-mode, global-cwarn-mode, global-hi-lock-mode,
global-highlight-changes, global-hl-line-mode.

I don't know what convention to use if that already used by some
global minor mode ("global-" prefix) or if I use "blank-*-global-mode".

BTW, I think it should have some note in
Emacs Lisp Reference Manual about global minor mode name.