Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:08:19 +0000

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> window-resize.el 0.3:
>> http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/window-resize.el
>
> I'm sorry to see that much of what you had improved at one point is now
> lost.

No problem.

And it is not entirely lost for everyone, it's still here:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/window-edit.el

> Window resizing is no longer the default.

Unless lots of people complain about this, I think it's ok to make the
move-borders method the default.  If the user just wants to shrink or
enlarge the window, she might just use the already available keys.

> The prompt doesn't say anything about the possibilities.

This is because we're not in a loop anymore.  Any suggestion on making
the prompt persistent while in a major mode?

> There is (almost) no feedback during window resizing.

"Less is better."  There is feedback when no move is possible.  What
feedback are you really missing?

> Shrinking a window can make it disappear.

I somehow tend to think this is an issue with `shrink-window' itself.
It doesn't quite respect `window-min-height'.

> C-g doesn't quit ("Key `^G' not bound").

Right, fixed.

> With pop-up-frames non-nil, at least, `q' in *Help* quits resizing,
> not *Help* (a second `q' then quits help), and it deletes one of the
> windows of the initial config. And so on.

I think this is an issue with `overriding-terminal-local-map'.  I might
find a workaround later.

> Too bad. You appear to have "improved" it to the point of regress. ;-)

No.  I think windresize.el (was window-resize.el) fits more its goal.  I
will give it a rest for a while, and see what people think.

Thanks for the feedbakc!

--
Bastien