Re: parallel bootstrap failure; _prompt_? during bootstrap build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: parallel bootstrap failure; _prompt_? during bootstrap build
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:02:31 +0200

> From: Jim Meyering <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:32:20 +0100
>
> I've just noticed a bootstrap failure.
> I was building with make -j5:

Does it succeed without -j5?

> Compiling /e/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el
> Cannot open load file: encoded-kb
> make[2]: *** [compile] Error 1
> Cannot open load file: encoded-kb
> make[2]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/e/emacs/lisp'
> make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/e/emacs'
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

FWIW, I don't see this problem, neither with nor without -j5, on
GNU/Linux.

> Since it byte-opt.el requires encoded-kb,

It does?  I don't see that dependency on GNU/Linux (and cannot figure
out why there should be such a dependency).  I also tried to
byte-compile byte-opt.el (again, on GNU/Linux), and didn't see any
messages about encoded-kb being loaded.

What platform did you use for this bootstrap?  AFAIK, encoded-kb is
required on MS-Windows, but that's not your case, is it?  And even on
MS-Windows, encoded-kb is loaded during startup, not when compiling
byte-opt.el.

> BTW, one minor nit: I got this *prompt*.
> I would have expected no prompts during a build.

>   Delete excess backup versions of /e/emacs/lisp/eshell/esh-groups.el? (y or
> n)

I think I fixed this on the trunk, please try again.