RE: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:26:05 -0800

> thanks for the comments.  Here is a new version:
>   http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/window-edit.el
>
> Please test the new help mechanism.

Better.

However, I suggest that showing help should quit window editing. The reason
is that you are in a `read-event' loop, and that prevents any normal
interactions with the help. For instance, you cannot resize the help frame
or scroll its window - all keystrokes (including mouse actions) are trapped
by the `read-event' loop. It is not difficult for a user to start
window-editing again, after help quits editing.

> The problem is that I don't know how to prevent Emacs from waiting an
> event when the user select another frame, and making it wait for this
> event when back to the frame where (read-event) was first called.
>
> Any hint?

See above. It is a mistake, IMO, to not exit the `read-event' loop when the
help is shown.

Also, please don't turn off the cursor in the help window.

Suggestion: Put key descriptions in a single column, instead of having lines
that are up to 90 chars wide.

You can also shorten some of the descriptions, for readability:

- "toggle mode: move border, resize"
- "C-f, C-b, C-n, C-p: move cursor"
- "quit"
- "save window configuration"
- "move border" (singular, and get rid of "direction-wise")
- "select adjacent window" ("select" not "find", and "other window" means
something different)

> > Possibility: When you restore the last window config, first
> > save the current config at the end of the ring.
> > That way, `s'.changes.`r'.`r' will bring back
> > the config before the first restoration.
>
> Yes, maybe.  I'll try this and maybe implement it in 0.5.

Among other reasons, it's important to be able to undo an accidental
restore - this provides that.

HTH.