Re: suppressing byte-compiler warnings about undefined functions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: suppressing byte-compiler warnings about undefined functions
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:54:54 -0500

    I haven't yet written the function to check that functions are
    actually defined in the specified files, but I imagine it would be
    straightforward.

It is probably nontrivial to arrange to find all the `declare-function'
calls in Emacs and check them.  I doubt it requires deep thought,
but it should to be implemented before we install this.

            ;; would be useful to delay this warning until all have been
            ;; compiled.  A: Yes!  b-c-u-f might contain dross from a
    !   (setq byte-compile-unresolved-functions nil
    !         byte-compile-declared-functions nil)

Why clear byte-compile-declared-functions at the end of compilation?
That would cause strange results if there is an error in compilation.
The reliable way is to do it at the beginning of compilation.
Or let-bind the variable in the right places.