Re: Emacs tramp troubles with old Sun

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs tramp troubles with old Sun
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:21:55 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Would it be possible for Tramp to detect the "test: argument expected" error
> message and force a "cleanup-connection" at that point?
> [ and of course, do similar things wherever applicable: the idea is to try
>   and detect when the cached properties become invalid, which will
>   necessarily happen over time as machines get upgraded/replaced/... ]

Exactly the same idea I'm just thinking about. But one must ensure
there's no infloop - when "test" does not work, it could be another
reason but invalid cached values. One shall remember the reason for
calling cleanup-connection, and when the same problem appears again,
it's time to give up.

Another idea is to keep a counter for cached properties. After a while
(100 uses, 100 days, whatever) the values shall be recomputed, just in
case. Think about a changed default $PATH, where it isn't always an
obvious error with the old value, when new directories appear.

At least when "uname -s -r" returns a changed value, it is time to
expire the cached properties for that machine.

> -- Stefan

Best regards, Michael.