Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 03:47:13 -0500

    I think this information may not be enough.  I think the policy would
    also need to know which of the overlay properties before-string,
    display, or after-string the string comes from.

In most cases you can determine this by looking at the overlay's
properties and seeing where the string appears.  That will work except
when the overlay has two properties that contain strings that are eq.

That is not good enough for the final implementation, but it is good
enough for experimenting to find the right criteria.  If the right
criteria really depend on this information, we can add a mechanism to
provide the information efficiently and reliably.  So I see no need to
do that until we know whether it is needed.