Re: encrypt.el in No Gnus 0.7

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: encrypt.el in No Gnus 0.7
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:56:37 -0500

    My arguments are in a separate message, but essentially the difference
    is between providing a GnuPG interface (epg) and providing an
    architecture with user-supplied ciphers that does not depend on GnuPG or
    any other external tools (encrypt.el).

I just looked at encrypt.el.  It appears to support just GnuPG
and "Built-in simple XOR".  And built-in simple XOR is just an
example, not for real use.

So what useful generality do we really get from this?

By contrast, if Gnus uses EasyPG, I presume that gives
various advantages in using GnuPG compared with the more
direct use of GnuPG thru encrypt.el.  Could someone confirm
that that is true?

All in all it looks like the best thing is to install EasyPG and make
Gnus use it directly.  I'm willing to change my mind if shown a real
advantage of encrypt.el, but I don't see one now.