RE: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 16:05:42 -0700

> > I just noticed that `C-x _' is what was suggested as the binding. I
> > was mistakenly thinking that `C-_' was proposed.
> >
> > Please don't use `C-x _' for this. I've been using that for many years
> > for my `fit-frame' command.
>
> Huh?  What possible reason would there be to take your private personal
> bindings into account when choosing the default out-of-the-box bindings
> for Emacs?  It's not like you would be unable to override them if you
> didn't like them.

It's just a request. You are free to ignore it.

The fit-frame code has been around a long time, and I think a fair number of
people beyond myself might be used to that binding. The code is also
included in Aquamacs (but I don't know if that binding is). And Richard
expressed interest in adding the library to Emacs at one point - I believe
that a doc string change is all that he lacked.

None of those are reasons that compel anyone to not bind that key, but I
make the request anyway.