RE: region-active-p

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: region-active-p
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:49:32 -0700

> >> I'm not wedded to any particular name. Possible names are
> >> `region-usable-p' and `region-nonempty-p'.
> >> Neither one fits quite right.  Whether the region is active is more
> >> central to the meaning than whether it is nonempty.
> >> Perhaps `region-overrides-p' is a good name.  The decision is whether
> >> the region should override the normal meaning of the command.
> >> I invite other suggestions.
>
> > transient-region-p?
>
> > BTW, what's the reason for creating this, again? I thought this
> > was about harmonizing with XEmacs somehow. Now that doesn't seem
possible.
> > What's wrong with just (and mark-active transient-mark-mode)? that's
short
> > and leaves no doubt about the meaning.
>
> I thought the whole point was to add region-emptyness checking in there
> as well (and potentially more, to account for things like a region that
> has just been selected with the mouse).

Oh, right; I forgot.

A short name probably won't capture all 3 things this is a conjunction of:
(1) tmm mode, (2) mark-active, (3) point diff from mark. The last can
probably be dropped from the name, so perhaps `transient-region-p'?

Whatever the name is, the doc string should make 1,2,3 clear.

Also, I don't follow your remark in parens - could you elaborate?