Re: Warning: `mapcar' called for effect; use `mapc' or `dolist'

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Warning: `mapcar' called for effect; use `mapc' or `dolist'
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:39:28 -0400

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
>   > Hm, I can't reproduce the warning using `emacs-lisp-byte-compile' with
>   > GNU Emacs 23.0.50.6 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.6) of
> 2007-10-20.
>   > Too old?
>
> I can't either.

I see the warning only when bootstrapping (in an up-to-date CVS). If I
repeat the same commands as used during bootstrapping, except using
the dumped "emacs" instead of "bootstrap-emacs", I still don't see the
warning:

  cd lisp
  rm gnus/gnus-group.elc
  EMACSLOADPATH=$PWD ../src/emacs \
   -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -f batch-byte-compile-if-not-done \
   gnus/gnus-group.el

Something to do with custom perhaps?

Anyway, regardless of this, from having replaced some mapcars in the
non-gnus parts of the trunk, I can say that the replacement is not
just something that can be done automatically, someone should look at
the actual code in each case.

It shouldn't take very long, and ought to eliminate ~ 100/370 of the
current bootstrap warnings. (There's not much point if the gnus in the
Emacs CVS will soon be replaced with gnus trunk though.)