RE: help-fns.el patch for commands to describe options and commands

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: help-fns.el patch for commands to describe options and commands
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:30:38 -0700

>     > I don't think this is is going to be useful for newbies.  They won't
>     > learn these commands.
>
>     Reason?  Why not useful?  Why not learnable?
>
> Because there are limits to how much a person can learn.  Newbies to
> Emacs are overloaded already.  They see lots of commands and learn
> only a few of them.  Offering them one more thing to learn won't do
> any good -- they can't learn MORE.

Knowledge is not strictly quantitative: just a bin of beans with a fixed
capacity.

Learning these can mean not needing to learn some other things right away.

Learning `C-h c' for `describe-command' is more useful to a newbie than
learning `C-h c' for `describe-key-briefly'. (And it's a better mnemonic.)

Newbies need `describe-option' more than `describe-variable', so they should
learn it first (as `C-h o'). When they later delve more into Emacs and Lisp,
they can learn `C-h v' (if there is still room in the ol' bin for one more
bean).