Re: trunk build failure on Solaris 2.6

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: trunk build failure on Solaris 2.6
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:10:24 +0900

>>> Could a Mac maintainer try to find out why it's not working on
>>> that platform?
>>
>> As address queries via getaddrinfo are normally forwarded to a
>> daemon called lookupd on Mac OS X, I suspect it doesn't make sense
>> to call res_init before getaddrinfo on that platform in the first
>> place.

> Then this bit of code in the configure script should fail, but it
> apparently succeeds; that's why HAVE_LIBRESOLV is defined.

I was not talking about how the configure script works, but whether
the `res_init' call makes sense on Mac OS X in the first place.

The intention of the `res_init' call before getaddrinfo is, as
mentioned in configure.in, to detect /etc/resolv.conf changes by
initializing some internal states of the resolver routine executed in
the Emacs process.  But on Mac OS X, and possibly also on some other
platforms, the actual resolution is performed by an external process,
and thus the Emacs process is not responsible to detect the
/etc/resolv.conf changes.  On such platforms, the `res_init' call does
not make sense whether or not the configure script detects the
existence of that symbol.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden