Re: frame-local variables weirdness

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: frame-local variables weirdness
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:40:26 -0400

>>> E.g. input-decode-map and local-function-key-map (there's a different
>>> one for each tty and each X11 display to which we're connected).
>> Ah.
>> "terminal-local" or "display-local" would seem a more accurate
>> description...
> The documentation indeed uses the term "terminal-local".

IIUC There's a bit of a mess here introduced by the multi-tty code: if you
run an "emacsclient -t" on /dev/tty1, then suspend it and then run another
one on that same tty, you apparently get two `terminal' objects but a single
keyboard object.

And the terminal objects are somewhat new in multi-tty, so the variables
were really and still are keyboard-local rather than terminal-local (the
C code identifiers clearly always referred to "keyboard" rather than
"terminal").

This said, I'm not actually sure that this is the case: maybe every terminal
has its own keyboard, really.  If not, I believe we should "merge" keyboards
and terminals so as to get rid of this distinction, if at all possible.

        Stefan