Re: Internationalization - Devanagari

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Internationalization - Devanagari
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:20:42 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > From: address@hidden (Alok G. Singh)
> > Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:31:56 +0530
> >
> > On  7 Oct 2007, address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe I should spend some more time with the Info pages on
> > > internationalization. But it would be nice if somebody explains.
> >
> > The only workable combination of Indic scripts and Emacs that I
> > managed is CDAC fonts with Emacs22 (at least). There seems to some
> > issue with the font encodings of the ttf Indic fonts generally
> > distributed.
> >
> > See emacswiki.org [1] for some details. The information might be dated
> > but should still work. Also the thread on linux-delhi [2] might be
> > useful.
> >
> > Footnotes:
> > [1]  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SupportHindi
> > [2]  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.user-groups.linux.delhi/15841

> Handa-san, could you please comment on this?  Are there other
> alternatives?

That's true that currently Emacs can display Indic scripts
correctly only with CDAC fonts.  For emacs-unicode-2, I'm
working on supporting Indic (and the others) with OpenType
fonts.  I think the work can be done before the official
release of emacs-unicode (23.X or 24.1 ?).

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden